Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What is a "Floater" frame?

With a variety of images both original and reproduction now appearing on Canvas and Canvas board - the "Floater" frame has become quite popular. This frame often has a "stepped" rabbet which creates the space between the canvas and the outside of the frame causing the canvas to appear to "float" in the frame window.

Often these frames are quite narrow in the face and just as often quite deep to give a block appearance on the wall.

It is an effective presentation and can also be a reasonable alternative to stacked frames and frames with liners. The clean modern look is well suited to today's decor.

"Sheep" image used by permission
Artist - Patricia D. Arndt

Frame illustration courtesy of The MatShop - www.matshop.com

No comments: